Monday, April 21, 2008

Screamingly hysterically funny

As I stepped outside Friday morning, I noticed a very distinguished…stink. It was a mix between cow manure, dog crap, and general disgustingness. I kept looking around to see if I had stepped in something or if there was just a big pile of rancid garbage somewhere nearby, but I found nothing. This, as you know, is not the first time I’ve been bombarded with some bad smells in London, so I just accepted it and went on with my day. But as I walked to the Tube and the smell didn’t disappear, I wondered to myself, “Maybe this smell isn’t just a normal London-has-weird-smells smell. Oh really, Lisa? What are you gonna watch the news later today and the reporter will announce ‘Today London had a very funky smell to it.’ Shya right.” And then I went to work and checked thelondonpaper.com…
“Stench over London: A foul mystery smell engulfs capital, sparking hundreds of complaints.” (They attributed the smell to unusual easterly winds bringing spring fertilizer odors from Europe.)

I attempted to find an art gallery near Liverpool Street today to no avail. The address was 83 Rivington Street. Well. I found Rivington Street. And I walked down it. I found #80 and right next to it (as predicted) was #82. You would think that #83 would be either right next to #82 or across the street. Here’s where you would be wrong. #82 was actually the last building on the street before the next cross street. And directly across the street was #94. How does that make any sense? It doesn’t. Which is why I didn’t find the gallery. But I DID find a lot of pretty awesome graffiti and stickers around the neighborhood. I’ll be posting some of the art I found every day this week. I don’t know what a lot of it means….okay, I don’t know what ANY of it means, but I still think it’s an incredible medium that is far better than anything I’ve seen in Boston.

Today we’ll start with the mooning Mona Lisa by the artist Nick Walker (this is the only example of graffiti pictures I took whose artist’s name I know):



P.S. Happy Boston Marathon day!!!

No comments: