Monday, February 4, 2008

Sweet potatoes! Am I glad I slept through THAT Superbowl!

I received a few responses on how to “deal with” the double kiss fiasco. I think Sylvia put it best when talking about standing on my toes to come up to them and said, “Just because we’re short doesn’t mean we should have to work harder at their customs.”

Here’s the deal with censorship in the UK. There is none. I saw a picture of a half naked woman in a store window today. Watching both tv shows and commercials as early as 7 at night it is possible to see full frontal (and back for that matter) nudity. And swearing? Anything goes with that, too. But even though the youth of England is exposed, no pun intended, to all of this, they still manage to grow up with more manners and less violence than American kids who can’t hold hands in an elementary school without getting suspended.

Saturday night I went to see a play called The Seventeenth Valentine. The play itself was okay; kinda depressing material and dialogue that didn’t really blow my skirt up, but was well acted nevertheless. What was most interesting though was the theater. In London, you can find pub-theaters all over the place. They’re basically self explanatory; it’s a pub in front and a theater in the back. The one I went to on Saturday, The White Bear Theater, was the dodgiest pub I’ve been to. Everyone was drunk and watching soccer when I came in and they hadn’t moved from that position when I left. Actually, as I was leaving there were two men getting into a pretty heated shouting match, or slurring match rather, over the Man United game.

Something happened on my way back home that night that made me remember the goodness in people. I was doing my crossword on the Tube and this older French couple was sitting next to me. After about five minutes, the British woman across from us leaned over to them and said, “I just want you to know. The two of you make a wonderful couple.” She hadn’t talked to them before this, she had simply just watched them whisper to each other. But she saw something in them and wanted them to know. Hearing her say this to them made me smile all the way home.

No comments: