Monday, February 11, 2008

Grammys smell like moth balls and Fixodent

Despite someone finding the head of a decapitated corpse and a double-decker bus driving into a bridge causing a man serious head injuries, it’s been a slow news day here in London. Although I would like to clarify that no, I didn’t start the Camden Market fire nor did I steal the artwork from Zurich. I’m good, but I’m not that good.

Since the Grammy’s were last night, I figure now is as good a time as any to talk about music. I didn’t watch the award show last night because a) I was too busy watching the BAFTA’s (Britain’s version of the Oscars which, by the way, had the phoniest laugh track I’ve EVER heard) b) it wasn’t being televised and c) it was on in the middle of the night. However, I am ecstatic that Herbie Hancock won Album of the Year; it’s a nice change from one very mainstream act sweeping the whole show (although I guess you could say Amy Winehouse did all but that). In any case, one of the best things about traveling to Sydney and London is being introduced to new music that isn’t played on Kiss108. So here is a list of awesome music that might not necessarily be new but is new to me…if you are looking for something to download, try these out:

Glen Hansard – This is the guy who starred in the somewhat-autobiographic movie ‘Once.’ He is an Irish singer-songwriter whose voice will grab you from the first note.
Song of note: Falling Slowly
Lyric of note: *And games that never amount To more than they’re meant Will play themselves out*

Scouting For Girls – A ‘Britpop’ band who just released their eponymous album. I decided to give them a try simply after hearing their band name. I am in love with every one of their songs. Probably the most-played band on my mp3 player this week.
Song of note: The Mountains of Navaho
Lyric of note: *You took my car but you left your cat Who I never really liked and I’ve since sent back to your mother*

The Cat Empire – An Australian ska/rock band. Don’t be fooled by the ‘ska’ part; their songs are guaranteed to make you tap your toe and smile (yes, at the same time). But be warned that you have to be down with Aussie lingo to understand their lyrics as they like to throw words around like ‘capsicum.’
Song of note: Protons, Neutrons, Electrons
Lyric of note: *We’re just flesh with socks and locks and frocks*

Vampire Weekend – I think these guys might be from New York, but you shouldn’t hold that against them. Another band who I decided to listen to based on name alone. These guys are your typical indie band, I guess. But to me, that’s a good thing.
Song of note: Oxford Comma
Lyric of note: *First the window then it’s to the wall Lil’ Jon he always tells the truth*

Spoon – Their album Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga, other than being tedious to type, was on numerous Best Albums of 2007 lists. More indie…
Song of note: Black Like Me
Lyric of note: *Street tar in summer Will play a trick on your soul*

The Darkness – Okay, so I’m a little late on this band, but better late than never thanks to Chris Wyman. And don’t think that their hit ‘I Believe In A Thing Called Love’ is their best song; practically every other song on both their albums is just as awesome. Plus, who doesn’t like a lead singer in spandex unitards?
Song of note: Love On The Rocks With No Ice
Lyric of note: *You can’t abide my showing fatigue When you come home just to relay All the events that made your heart bleed And the ones that ruined your day*

Operator Please – These guys won their high school Battle of the Bands contest in Melbourne (or at least I THINK it was Melbourne) and went on to make a record after they were so well received. The only song I know, and their biggest hit to date, is ‘Just A Song About Ping Pong.’ I will fully admit that the lyrics are ridiculous (they talk about beef jerky having an aftertaste), but it’s totally catchy and addicting.

Kisschasy – Another Aussie band. A little bit mainstream, but their song ‘Spray On Pants’ rocks. It’s a great image, isn’t it?
Song of note: Spray on Pants (der)
Lyric of note: *He is learning the tambourine He tells his band that’s what they’re missing*

Sarah Bareilles – Okay, truth be told, I first saw her on VH1’s You Oughtta Know artist list. But she’s worthy of a listen as is Yael Naim (the voice on the new iMac commercials), New Buffalo, and Ingrid Michaelson.

So that’s my list. But in the immortal words of Levar Burton…you don’t have to take my word for it. (Cut to random, multi-cultural children concurring.)

No comments: