Thursday, February 14, 2008

I ate 6 eggs in 2 days

We are moving offices tomorrow. There’s something like 8 company offices all within the city of London and they’re consolidating three of them. This means that my day tomorrow will consist of watching frantic people trying to rid their desks of all unnecessary papers (which, truth be told, is every paper) but instead finding that Dorito chip they lost 8 months ago.

Either people will find any excuse to eat and drink here or they’re really sentimental about this building, because not only are we going out for drinks after work to celebrate our last day at Angel Court, but we’re also going to a pub for lunch. But get this – the name of the pub is Old Doctor Butler’s Head! One thing I learned very early on is that London is filled with fantastically-named pubs. (I like to think Old Doctor Butler’s Head refers to the bloodied head of a British doctor who accidentally decapitated himself while trying to perform brain surgery on a patient while intoxicated in 1893. Oh and the head? It haunts the pub.)

G has been quite active in the past two days in preparation for the move since his desk is exceedingly cluttered. What this means for me, the lucky person who gets to listen to him all day, is a handful of inane quotes (the context doesn’t matter…they still wouldn’t make sense):
“This is where the frisking happens.”
“Wonka wonka wonka!”

D said the word ‘movements’ today in the exact same way Austin Powers says ‘I’m gonna go watch a moooooooooovie.’ I have yet to figure out a way to snicker without having the people around me realize I’m snickering at them.

So that rocket building picture I sent awhile back? It’s nicknamed ‘The Gherkin.’

Many people have told me that I should go to Wimbledon in June, that it’s an amazing experience. I don’t doubt this and so today I inquired with a company ticket vendor to see if they had anything available. This was their reply:

Dear Lisa,
Thank you for your request.
Please note that unfortunately we are only able to source premium priced tickets for sporting events. See below for details:
Ladies Semi Final Priced at $2100 per ticket
Men’s Semi Final Priced at $4100 per ticket
Ladies Final Priced at $2400 per ticket
Men’s Final Priced at $6200 per ticket
All prices and availability are subject to change at any time. Please advise if we can be of any further assistance.

Here was my (fake) reply:

Dear Crazy Wimbledon Ticket Selling People,
$6200 for a single ticket? Are you nuts? Are those for the nosebleed seats too? I can understand paying this much for a Red Sox/Yankees playoff game; at least there I’m paying for the chance to see something as awesome as Pedro Martinez giving an ass whooping to Don Zimmer. And are the men really $3800 better than the women? I’m not a die-hard feminist or anything, but that seems a little silly to me. Please let me know if the prices drop down to $200 or below and I’ll be interested in a front-row seat.
Thanks a heap!

In completely unrelated news, Shaq is completely gone from South Beach leaving my Dad in utter despair. Today on the phone he told me, “I miss him already.”

No comments: