Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Being made fun of for saying “zee” instead of “zed”

I’m not sure if it’s just the office I work in, but people here have strange bathroom etiquette. My co-worker B started talking to me the other day in the elevator lobby; she chose 5 months after I arrived to ask me about my secondment in London. I was more than happy to answer her questions seeing as how she’s as nice as you’d think a stereotypical British woman would be, but after 5 minutes or so of talking, she assumed I was going to lunch and so we said goodbye. Except before I headed out to lunch, I had to stop in the bathroom first, as did she. That was the first of the awkwardness. Because not only did we walk into the bathroom together having thought we were going our separate ways, but she continued asking me questions once inside. Okay, that’s cool. I mean, it wasn’t an emergency bathroom trip or anything so I could spare another minute or so chatting. But I figured we wouldn’t be talking for that long, so I stood right-in-front-of/almost-in the first stall signalling “It’s been fun but once we cross the restroom threshold, idle conversation must cease.” Unfortunately, she did not pick up on this. So the dialogue continued. And other women kept coming in and out of the bathroom wondering, I’m sure, just who the hell chooses the ladies’ room to have a heart-to-heart about what Lisa likes most about London. Suffice it to say that the whole situation was very odd. And let’s just say I rushed out of there afterwards so as not to have our hand-washing (yes, I did it that time) and elevator ride downstairs coincide as well.

Good grief! Am I really as anti-social as that sounds? I swear I’m not – I’m just against bathroom bonding is all. You feel me, right?

No comments: