Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Don't be mislead. I killed no cats.

This is a picture of a smore made with vegan marshmallows. While it looks bubbly and plastic and horrid, it actually kinda tasted good. After 10 minutes of hemming and hawing over whether to eat one, I proceeded to "cook" and eat no less than 5 of them. Self-control doesn't factor in when chocolate, graham crackers and marshmallows (albeit vegan) are involved.

This smore, and pots of quinoa, were made this weekend while camping in the Catskills. In Woodland Valley, to be exact. And if we're going for details here, I suppose I'll confess that the following happened:
1) In three days, I took one shower (sans soap and shampoo).
2) I ran 16 miles, saw about 4 people while doing so, and realized that it would suck to train for a marathon while living in the boonies.
3) I gathered firewood, but managed to pick all the wet, slug-covered pieces.
4) Hiking happened, but was overshadowed by my excitement for Nutz Over Chocolate Luna Bars.
5) The gay male couple in the next campsite purchased a potted flower plant for their picnic table. Now THAT is gay.
6) I lost at Scrabble but played some great 4th grade words like 'dangly,' 'mist,' and 'bee.'
7) In order to light a fire, I burned the one section of the NYTtimes I was told absolutely, under no circumstance, to use.
8) No bears were actually seen, but it was assumed that any sound occurring after dark was made by one.

I suppose that as much as I enjoy the outdoors, I'm not really made for them. Though I DO have the eating part down to an art.

No comments: