Sunday, March 22, 2009

A cocaine-dealing brother-in-law

Saturday night Nana, Aunt Freya, and I were supposed to eat at the Hofbrahaus in celebration of Nana's 97th birthday (that's right...97...a "holy moly" is warranted here).  But after taking a look at the menu and seeing only meat, meat, and more meat (all in German, I might add), Nana declared she'd rather eat at Pizzeria Uno.  I secretly seconded her opinion.  Unfortunately, at 5:45 pm on a Saturday night, Pizzeria Uno had a 25 minute wait, so we went to the next best place - Bertucci's.

I can't tell you the last time I ate at Bertucci's.  I CAN tell you the last time I ordered Bertucci's rolls to go, took them across the street to a bar, and then proceeded to throw up my 3 Cape Codders into the bag of rolls, ruining the food for everyone and cementing the "Lisa and the Bertucci rolls" story for the rest of my life.  I digress.  We walk into Bertucci's and I am immediately hit with a wall of sound.  Every table has a mother and father and at least two children sitting at it.  All of whom are less than 5 years old, playing with some kind of toy, and screaming.  Normally when I'm out in Longmeadow, Nana takes me to a place called The Grapevine for dinner.  And at 6:00 pm, the place is filled to the rafters with senior citizens, not children.  So this was a new experience for me.  A new and very loud experience.  

Freya orders the steak.  Nana and I order the salmon with the intention of splitting it.  The rolls come.  I eat two.  WITHOUT throwing up.  Nana mentions that she thinks my brother-in-law is dealing cocaine in Mexico.  Freya mentions that she thinks I'm losing my mind.  I mention that I could eat the olive oil with garlic and parmesan cheese perpetually until I die.  

Here's what fathoms me about Bertucci's, though.  My salmon had absolutely no bones in it.  Freya's steak had absolutely no fat on it.  The green beans and asparagus were not only cooked to perfection, but were the most desireable shade of green, and the mashed potatoes were like heaven.  How do they do this?  How are they mass producing salmon, cows, and green beans so that the meals are picture perfect every time?  I was too busy being freaked out by this to enjoy the taste of it all.  Though I quickly got over being freaked out and enjoyed 3/4 of the salmon and a quarter of Freya's steak.  

Restaurants like Bertucci's and Olive Garden and Applebees are mindboggling.  I rarely eat at those places, feel disgustingly full and gross when I do, and typically make fun of the people who frequent there.  But last night, as I created the perfect bite of meat, green beans, and potatoes, I ignored that nagging voice in my head that kept repeating, "You are eating the food of the people who shop at IKEA, watch Desperate Housewives, throw Pampered Chef parties, and laugh at Adam Sandler movies."

1 comment:

Theresa said...

HEY - I watch DH! and I know for a FACT that you've bought something from IKEA! (mostly b/c I just asked you and you said yes) So what are you saying???